Friday, June 02, 2006

June 2

June 2

This morning I found one of the advantages of having Rob around......when I forget to zip my pants zipper and walk around the streets of Astana people look at me really funny. If Rob was here we would have told me.

For all those still wondering, I do not have custody of Andrew yet. He will stay in the orphanage until the 15-day waiting period is over, or maybe even until the paperwork in Astana is done and I am ready to fly to Alamty for the paperwork there. So I will have a couple weeks more of sleeping in late and leisurely taking showers.

Today's visit with Andrew was busy. There are now 4 families visiting at the same time and we all share one visitation room. It was raining and they did not want me to take him outside....that'll change when we get home. 3 of the 4 kids are in the same room so they are busy feeding and dressing them and bring them to the visitation room one at a time. Andrew was the slacker and the last to arrive. As each of the other kids arrived they all had their faces clean, hair combed, matching outfits on and quietly smiling. Then comes Andrew, lunch left on his face, hair every which way, but it did look like it was trimmed, wearing someone else's shirt and grunting, fidgiting and kicking to get down. I guess he was expecting Rob to be there to toss him in the air right away. In Rob's absense he did get in the required amount of tossing, bouncing and HARRRRRing. From the batch of kids I think we know which one will be the one who disrupts the classroom in a couple years.

After 2 hours of one-on-one play I was ready for a nap. And without a laptop, or an iPod with any juice left, I napped.

After my afternoon nap of 2 hours, I headed out to the internet cafe and found another change in pace now that Rob has left. Before when we would walk the streets of Astana they would just look at us as the "Large breasted Amerikan woman with the Beer Belly Amerikan Man." Now apparently I am the "Large Breasted Amerikan Woman who knows all street names" because men in cars often pull up, slow down, say something, then drive off. And yes I did check if my zipper was down, it was not. I guess the men of Kazakhstan have never seen a woman with bra sizes bigger than an A cup.

Last night at dinner Rob missed another Kazak Experience. As dinner was finishing up 2 Swedish Bikini Model woman approached the table in white leather outfits selling Marlboro cigarettes. I think Paris and the other Hilton have side jobs now.

2 Comments:

At 10:50 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAMN! (ooops that's a swear word!)
But appropriate.. I missed the french maids AND the cigarette chix!

- Rob

 
At 6:45 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I guess you didn't snap a photo to bring home for Rob?

:-)

KathyD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home