Monday, June 12, 2006

June 13 (Kaz)- Fountain Day

June 13

Durign our walks we see a lot of fountains so I thought I would lump them together in 1 post.

This is the fountain outside our apartment next to the soccer stadium. The ball is supposed to be rolling in water but it often gets stuck and the water just shoots out the side of the fountain--- which the birdies like, and small children too. The next soccer game is June 14th and we're going to try to go to that one if it's not over 100 degrees. The stadium is about as big as a medium sized high school stadium, but the Astana team does seem to have a marching band in the stands.

About a 5 or 10 minute walk from our apartment is Congress Hall. We did not know what was the offical name for a week or 2, we just called it to teh big building with the blank SUV op on risers out front. Across the street from ongress hall is this fountain. We have not figured out the schedule for when they trn the water on, but he got lucky the night I took the picture. For Robert (aka Rob), there is a Kazak chick posing for you.


A little closer to our apartment is the Money Building , or Ministry of Finance I think. They have the lamest fountain of all, you can barely see it in the foreground. The intersting thing about the building is that it's shaped kind of wavy like an S with a line down the middle. So when you look at it from the sky it looks like a dollar sign. Does someone have American Currency envy? Hmmm, what about that darn Euro ?





The last fountain for today is the globe fountain where Rob and
I would spend our retirement days feeding the birds. It's in back of the Ministry Of Education where we went or first day.








While sitting around the apartment the other day we realized we are begining to speak like the native Kazaks. Our favorite expressions are
"But of course!" or "Yehhhhhhz!" Both of which mean "No" or " I have no idea""
"I/He/She will come to you" which means "I will meet you at x o'clock"

At Dinner last night Ross, one of our fellow American stranded in Kazkhstan decided that with all of the cabbage and Beats here, we have founded a new country "IHaveGasAhkstan".

The internet cafe is packed tongiht so I can upload any other photos, so you will have to wait for tomorrow for "Road Work" pictures.


1 Comments:

At 9:56 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tour Jen, love to see those photos! Still recovering from the party in Lamberton; can't thank you enough for all of your work on it along with Kathy, Scott and Liz...and to keep it secret! Say hi to my grandson, looking forward to his first birthday party. Luv, Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home