Wednesday, May 17, 2006

May 17, Part Jen

May 17
Today we continued our battle with the internet. The laptop was running slow, but at least it was working in Windows. Then the Unix fairies arrrived and now Windows no longer has internet access but Linux does. Hmmm, go figure. Now i can't update Quicken! And I'm walking on egg shells in Linux for fear of shutting down special services. And for the record, Windows boots a bazillion times faster than Linux. I knew we should have brought 2 laptops with us!

So if you missed me in my evening of IM glee the other night, you probably won't see me for another month on-line....or until Rob leaves and i can scrap Linux and use normal Windows again.

That also means NO MORE PHOTOS since they reside on the Windows partition. If this causes you concern, as it does me, please email mowgie@yahoo.com and request that the Windows partition have internet access restored. But I understand that mowgie has been emailing contraband photos, which explains the sudden drop off of blog comments and readers. At this point I think my Dad and Liz , and Chiplet are the only readers left.

Enough griping for a while.

The visit with junior went well. It was a littel drizzly so we were indoors again today. Today's music selection was Band Of Horses and The Eagles. Brenda, I must sadly report that junior became a bit rammy with the Eagles, but it may have also been caused by the proximity to his nap time; although I will say that Hotel California put him to sleep so there is still hope.

We had a bubbleicious day, ripping through the remaining 2 bottles of bubbles, bringing us up to a total of 3 bottles (the first being kicked over early in our visits). Then we spent an hour crawling around the floor at breakneck speeds, and I realized that my knees make a really neat crunching noise. Then junior decided to show how he can almost stand. He crawled up to the wall, stood up, then backed away from the wall. He got a little wobbly after about 10 to 15 seconds, and being the overprotective mommy I am, I sat behind him to cushion his tooshy when he plopped down.

He is also figuring out that when he crawls on carpet he gets very good traction. Then when he moved to the wood laminante floors and tries to crawl quickly, he just moves in places like Wille E Coyote. i think this amuses him more than frustrates him, as he looks down at his legs and watches then move.

Also in mid-play he had what sounded like the world's worst poopie. It was a weird gurgling sound of water runing through your internal organs. Rob said he smelled something wicked, but I could not smell a thing. Junior went on crawling and plopping down without being phased. We brought an extra diaper and were later brave enough to attempt our first diaper change, unassisted. When we checked his diaper about 30 minutes later, (we figured why check if he wasn't crying) he was clean as a whistle, no poopie or #1. We dodged a bullet there. He seems to show his sign of approval with us with making harmless bodily function noises that end up being nothing. That's our boy!


When we first arrived today, he was in the middle of his post lunch potty session. So of course we had to take a picture. There were 3 or 4 kids on potties but we were only looking for junior to snap a photo. He sat there very patiently and posed with a focused look on his face (perhaps a #2?), and his hands crossed over his privates. Now that I think of it, I have a similar photo of my nephew Bryan. For any of my college roommates that are reading, that was the only picture of my nephew I had hanging up at college. Sorry Bryan, but it was a funny picture that just may resurface at your wedding next January.

After our action packed visit, we had lunch at a cool looking place with no English menu. It looked Mexian, but was of some ethnic culture I have never heard of, could not pronounce and do not remember. I have become less picky about food, and when she described the 2nd thing, meat with some kind of vegetable, I jumped on that. Gone are the days where I read page after page of menu items and torment myself trying to pick one. If it doesn't have fish, liver or horse, I'll usually get that and stop asking what else is on the menu.

I spent the rest of the night watching Rob try to get the internet to work on Linux and reading the book Liz gave me the day before I left. I am about 1/3 of the way through, and have read more in the past 2 days than I have in about a year. In case you are wondering, it's called Northern Lights, by Nora Roberts. It has it's share of smut, but it's also a pretty interesting murder story in rural Alaska.

We have gotten more requests for names. We are keeping the real name under wraps until court at the tail end of this month, but we are still posting names of interest. My sister Kathy suggested Zero Mostel Taylor. Hmmm, nothing like setting high standards for a kid with a name like Zero. Although, if you are into School house Rock, Zero is My Hero. If you don't know what School House Rock is, then you're too young and need to visit the Smithsonian ASAP.

10 Comments:

At 3:37 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, don't understand all of the internet lingo but we will miss the photos. A week from today we are off to Europe for two weeks so we will miss some of the blogs as well. Return June 2nd. Sneak a picture of junior and his name out when you can.Luv, Dad and Liz

 
At 6:48 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen and Rob!
Sorry for not leaving comments sooner, but I swear we have been keeping up with the postings. I can't even tell you how excited we are for you guys. we can't wait for the Dane and Jr playdates, the summer barbqs together and the joint disney vacations (where our boys will probably try to look up Cinderell'"s dress.) You realize they are already best buddies!
What size clothing is Jr wearing? Can you describe what Jr looks like, or is it forbidden? I just can't wait to see you with your boy! Details!
==Erin

 
At 8:19 PM EDT, Blogger Allison said...

Jen,
Only a true mom is able to dedicate several paragraphs to the interesting bodily functions of her child. Atta girl!! I'm disappointed that the diaper was a false alarm. You got off easy. Does your life now remind you of the movie "Groundhog Day"?
Continuing to send good thoughts your way.
Alli

 
At 8:29 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahah, i do believe i've seen that picture of bry. and you'll be too busy calming your rambuncious little son to embarass my brother...i'll handle that! and i am still an avid blogger!!! any lack of pictures will not be tolerated from me and the rest of america, so they better be back up!!!!

 
At 10:20 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob, Windows for pics...must have!!! We love seeing where you are. Can you get any photos of the restaurants, inside and out...how about the food....it all sounds interesting. Can't wait to see Bryan on the Potty...oops, not Bryan...sorry ...I meant Junior. Hope that potty pic doesn't rear it's ugly head at the wedding in January.
Jen, that's not smut in Northern Lights...you mean it's not true LOVE !!! Makes for a fun mystery in the frozen North. Glad your enjoying it.
Liz

 
At 11:53 PM EDT, Blogger Deborah said...

I want pictures. So there.

 
At 6:40 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, Rob was sending pictures without clearance...who knew ?

Rob, listen buddy, I think you will have to live with Mr. Gates for the duration. Jen's ability to send pictures outweighs the need to be open source in Kaz. Besides I bet you could buy a Laptop with a linux distro installed for peanuts. Get it? peanuts, Linux, Linus, peanuts...
And no more talk of blogcotts (good term by the way). In fact you've been a bit of a content slacker. Time to get on the stick. You know we are saving these entries for LT's babybook. Do you want him to grow up thinking that only his mother could write ?

 
At 8:48 AM EDT, Blogger Jennifer said...

Chip gets minus 600 technology points for double posting a comment!!!

Windows and Office is out of business I am using Ubuntu/Open Office and it rox.

I sold all my MSFT and wrote puts against my INTC. INTC drop so I made money on the puts BUT i will also be dropping my INTC soon. WINTELL Empire is over.

 
At 10:17 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading I just have not been posting comments. So keep it coming. So glad things are going well. Warm wishes, Brenda

 
At 3:13 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Jen if you would tell us your apartment address, we could zoom in on you with Google Earth. For now, I'll be content randomly spying on Astana.
I decided to check out our web site for recpes from Kazakhstan:
http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=Kazakhstan
I can safely say, I won't be making the Horse Meat Tripe & Spinach Stew anytime soon. You, of course, will need to learn how to make it for when LT yearns for some home cooking.
KathyD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home