Sunday, May 07, 2006

May 07, Part Jen


May 07, Part Jen


And we wondered why traffic was slow, this guy has a license plate and all. It's common to see tractors and trucks that look like they are from Hogan's Heroes with all of the construction going on. It really it neat to see a city being built from the ground up. Not only are buildings sprouting everywhere, but we have seen them plant close to 1000 trees in little parks all over the city. Earleir this week we saw a double wagon of what we thought were rocks, but were potatoes.

On the way to visit junior today we got detoured by a parade, the first of a couple days of crazy Kaz parties. I am usually not a parade person, but this one we stopped for. It was mostly military guys marching and bands playing. And yes I did get all teary-eyed knowing this is the country and paprade where our son is from, but I blamed the tears on the sunlight :-). While at the parade, Mr Amerikan (Rob) stood out (I still have my German haircut) and an American couple walked up to us. We were told to fib about why we were here, so I said we were visiting friends in Kaz for a couple days (as if we all jet off to Kazakhstan for the weekend). They looked sad and said they were looking for Americans to hang out with. I think Rob got a little creaped out about American Travelling Abroad Swingers, and we slowly walked away.

Then it was off to the orphanage, and who do we run into within 2 minutes of being in the orphanage, the friendly American couple. I fessed up we were told to fib about why we were here, and they were told the same. Junior was checking out their daughter, the same age, but quickly forgot her when she left the room.

We had a little bit of whining today, and junior was pretty good too. I think sometimes he forgets who we are then 5 minutes later remembers. We tried the iPod again today and started Shrek. I don't think he has ever seen TV before, so he starting pushing all the buttons and flailing the iPod. We waved the Brawny FreshNaps in front of him to have him drop the iPod. The room was about 100 degrees today, so everyone was a little cranky. He liked it when we waved the blanket and gave him a breeze. We gave them some clothes to put on him today. He had the short sleeve onesy on, and a Hello Kitty shirt underneath (not ours)-- wouldn't want to catch a cold in 100 degree rooms. They dissed the shorts we provided.....I guess inexperienced parents like us did not realize that crawling and shorts do not match. Another lesson learned.

Junior liked it when I laid on my back and made him fly up and down. Another lesson learned......baby drool falls quickly.....just quick enough for you to close your eyes and shake it off. It was a good day not too much crying, and no crocodile tears. Towards the end of the visit he just got cranky and ready for his nap time.

We asked our translator, Aizhan, (yes I do spell her name different evey time, I saw it in print yesterday and think it's correct now), to take a picture of Junior on the potty. We are not allowed in his room. There are about 10 other kids in there and they are afraid we will eihter infect them, or take pictures of them. They are very strict with the rules in Astana compared to the other regions. So we are trying to play by their rules.

Any ways, back to potty talk. The caregivers said he usually does a poopie ( as in #2) on the pot after lunch, and sometimes after dinner. Sweet! Less wicked diapers. Now I need to figure out how to keep him on that schedule for the week between when I take custody and arrive home, and then once we are home. They also said he usually goes #1 on the potty, and not in the diaper. I think Rob is hoping that will also continue when we get home.

After the visit, we went to the market/bazaar. Think "Montgomeryville Mart" with 10x the people and 10x the shoving....and much dirtier. We were looking for a Kazak rug, but apparently you can only buy Turkish and Belgian rugs in Kazakhstan. We did score some nice baby pants, with footies, for about $1 each. So now we will have something to take to the orphange, and also have something for him to wear home in June (they will not let us take him in shorts even if it is 90 degrees). After Rob leaves at the end of the month, I will go back with Aizhan to get a stroller for the trip home, and maybe some souvenirs at rock bottom prices. Aizhan does an awesome job negotiating prices.

We are heading back to the apartment for a night of laundry (2 loads if we are lucky), and cleaning the apartment.

Here's a picture of a movie store. Apparently Kazak's think that all American Movies are Ghost Busters II:

Here's us at our hotel., The Akky. We stayed there the first 3 nights....but Aizhan negotiated to pay for only 2.5 night since we arrived ar 1am. Good luck trying that in America.....you'd probably have to pay extra for a late arrival. Also, I'm holding my stomach not becuase of the poopies, but because I have a money belt on and it's kind of bulky-- holding the equivalent of 3 months mortgage!

2 Comments:

At 10:11 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, the hotel lobby looks very nice, you were lucky to get such nice digs so quickly, we all like the "local" background color you both write about...shopping malls (kind of), parades, etc, etc. I assume prices are low for most things. Fun to read and love the pictures! Dad

 
At 11:55 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo, it sounds exciting to be there during the parade! haha, you guys look so happy in your kaz hotel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home